public works utilities - faqs

Does the City issue an adjustment for leaks?

Call Customer Service (940)592-2131 for more information.

What if I feel my bill is too high due to a faulty meter?

Water meters can malfunction, particularly as they get older.  However, we have found that their tendency is to slow down rather than speed up.  With advance notice, a test can be scheduled.  If the meter tests correctly, you will be charged a $50 testing fee for a residential meter.  Commercial accounts are done on contract cost.  If the meter tests incorrectly, you will not be charged the testing fee.

Do I have any other responsibilities as a city water user?

Yes, you are required to keep your water meter clear and accessible for reading and maintenance purposes.  This includes those meters located in utility easements.  Contact Customer Service if you need information on where to find your meter.

Is there fluoride in my water?


What about problems with my sewer service?

In case of a sewage backup, notify City hall at (940)592-2131. They will check the City main to determine if the problem is the City’s responsibility or the homeowner’s.

Do I need to notify the city when I move out?

Yes, in advance.  It is necessary that you contact an Iowa Park Customer Service Representative to close your account.  This may be done either in person at city hall or by sending us a letter telling us the date you want your account closed and where to send the final bill.  You will be responsible for payment of services through the date of your closing.

What methods of payment do you accept?

The City accepts cash, check, and/or money orders.
The City also accepts credit card payments on the city website at:

What are Customer Service’s office hours?

Customer service is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

What number do I call?

For Customer Service Call- (940)592-2131 during regular office hours.
To report water leaks, sewer backups, or other water emergencies call (940)592-2131.
For Emergencies or after hours requests, call (940)592-2131. On call personnel will be notified. To obtain a collection schedule for garbage or recycling, call (940)592-2131.

When is my payment due?

Your monthly bill is due 21 days from the billing date.  A $7.50 penalty for late payment accrues from the balance due 22 days after the billing date.  After 29 days, your account is subject to disconnection.  An after hours payment drop box is located at City Hall for your convenience.

What if I did not receive my bill in the mail?

Your account is billed on a regular basis every month.  If you do not receive your bill, you should call our office @ (940)592-2131 immediately.  You are responsible for the bill whether it is received or not.

What if I know I will not be able to pay my bill on time?

Call a Customer Service Representative at (940)592-2131 to discuss payment arrangements.  In most cases, some arrangements can be worked out.

What happens if my water is turned off for non-payment?

Service will be restored upon payment of the entire balance due, including a $20.00 reconnect fee if paid before 4:45pm.  After hours reconnect fee is $40.00.

Can I turn my meter on or off?

No.  A city employee will do this for you at no cost.  The water meter is the property of the City and damages to the meter could be charged to you.  Call Customer Service at (940)592-2131, 24 hours a day, and on-call personnel will be notified and dispatched.

What if I feel my bill is too high?

You can easily check for an error in the meter reading used to calculate your bill.  Simple read your water meter to see if the reading higher or lower than the present reading on your bill.  If it is lower, call City Hall and we will issue a service order to have a meter reader check the read.  If the reading is higher, you should check for a leak in your house plumbing or service line.

How do I check for a leak?

-Turn off all water in and outside of your house. DO NOT TURN OFF THE MASTER VALVE.
-Record the reading on your meter.
-Do not use any water in your home for at least 1 hours.
-Recheck the meter every 20 minutes for 1 hour. The reading should be identical to the reading taken earlier. If it is higher, you have a leak.. It is your responsibility to have it repaired.
NOTE: Continuously running toilets can be a silent culprit. Check the overflow pipes in the toilet tanks to be sure water isn't draining. Place a few drops of food coloring in the tank, don't flush and check the bowl in about 15 minutes. If any of the colorings appear in the bowl, you probably have a tank to toilet bowl leak, which will require a repair.

What are the City’s responsibilities for water line repairs?

The City is responsible for the main line and meter up to the point of the customer's service line connection to the meter.