The City’s monthly water consumption for the month of August 2023 was nearly 51 million gallons for the first time since December 2012, during the “Drought of the Century!” The consumption includes wholesale customers, industrial, institutional, commercial, and residential customers of the City of Iowa Park. August is typically the month of highest potable water consumption in any given year, and the average monthly consumption for the previous twelve months was about 32 million gallons. The City Council of the City of Iowa Park instituted a Stage One Drought Watch on January 28, 2023. The goal of the Stage One Drought Watch was to achieve a 5% reduction in daily water demand. The following restrictions were initiated at that time and remain in effect:
City of Iowa Park Stage One Drought Watch Restrictions (approved by City Council January 23, 2023)
- Promptly repair all controllable leaks including broken sprinkler heads, broken pipes, or leaking valves.
- New irrigation systems must be designed by licensed professionals to conserve water.
- Landscaped areas may only be irrigated between 7:00 p.m. and 10:00 a.m. three days per week:
- South of Loop 370/Old Iowa Park Highway only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays;
- North of Loop 370/Old Iowa Park Highway but south of U.S. Highway 287 North only on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays; and
- North of U.S. Highway 287 North only on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
- Landscape watering is permitted any time with a handheld hose that is equipped with a positive shut-off nozzle, soaker hose, bucket, watering can, bubbler or drip irrigation system.
- Do not wash a vehicle unless the hose has a positive shut-off nozzle that stops the flow of water upon release.
- Do not wash sidewalks, driveways, or parking lots except to alleviate immediate health or fire hazards.
- Do not add potable water to architectural features except on Tuesdays and Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Do not fill, refill, or add potable water to pools, spas or Jacuzzis except on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Sundays between 6:00 p.m. and 12:00 midnight.
Iowa Park Code of Ordinances Sec. 13.05.008
Please do your part to help conserve our limited water supply.