code enforcement - faqs

Where can I store a travel trailer or motor home on or adjacent to my property?

All motor homes, travel trailers, or any other types of trailers must be stored on private property and be located behind all building limit lines. Camping or travel trailers and motor homes can be located outside the building limit lines for no longer than forty-eight (48) hours to load/unload said unit. Restrictions on the placement of commercial vehicles, motor homes, and trailers can be found in Section 405.1 of the City’s Code of Ordinances.

What does the City’s Code have to say about high grass, brush, rubbish, or debris on private property?

Chapter 6 of the City’s Code of Ordinances addresses the cleanliness and sanitation on private premises. It is illegal to permit the accumulation of junk, debris, and/or rubbish upon private property or the public right-of-way, the Department of Public Works is authorized to remove said debris, junk, or rubbish and bill the adjoining property owner(s). Normally, the City’s Division of Code Enforcement will advise property owners of their failure to comply with Section 6 of the Code and the owner/resident will have ten (10) days to abate the nuisance before the City will intervene.

Will I receive notice from the City each time my property needs to mowed?

No, the City is required to provide you with ten (10) days notice the first time your property is in violation of Section 6, however; once that initial notice has been provided to the property owner, the City is not required to send another notice that the property is in violation of the Code of Ordinances for one full year.  This authority, granted by the State's Health and Safety Code, allows the City to abate the nuisance at any time after the initial notice has been given.

Can I utilize the City’s public right-of-ways to store personal items on?

No, streets and alleys are for public use and are primarily designed to provide vehicle access/egress and utilities to the adjoining properties.  Storing items on these public right-of-ways can hinder use and access of these properties.

What type of construction codes does the City follow?

The City Council has adopted the most current versions of the International Residential Code, the International Fire Code, the International Plumbing Code, the International Mechanical Code, and the National Electrical Code.  Copies are available for viewing at City Hall and the Tom Burnett Memorial Library.

What types of permits are required for construction within the City?

Homeowners and/or contractors are required to purchase building, plumbing, mechanical (heating/air conditioning) and electrical permits through City Hall.  Costs of the permits vary depending on the size of the project.  Homeowners are permitted to perform building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work on the structure in which they reside, otherwise all other construction work must be performed by a contractor licensed and insured with the City of Iowa Park.

Are asbestos surveys/inspections required in conjunction with a construction project?

Asbestos inspections or surveys are required for construction projects on commercial, industrial, or public assembly structures prior to pulling any construction permits.  A property could be exempt if the contractor/property owner can verify existing building materials will not be affected by the new construction.

How long must I wait for a construction inspection?

Normally inspections can be performed the day a request is received, however; the City is obligated to perform the necessary inspection within twenty-four (24) hours.

What classifies a car or truck as a “junked vehicle”?

Any vehicle can be labeled a "junked vehicle" if a) it has an expired license plate/registration, b) it lacks a valid motor vehicle inspection certificate, c) is wrecked, dismantled, or partially dismantled or discarded, or d) has remained inoperable for more than seventy-two hours while on public property or thirty consecutive days while on private property.  A public hearing before the City Council must be conducted before the City can remove a vehicle off public right-of-way or private property.  For more information on junked vehicles, see Article 8.06 of the City's Code of Ordinances.